Statcounter

Friday, April 27, 2012

Madrid (3)


Madrid (3)







Next day I had a good bus trip back to Madrid from Avilla and took a small room in a hostel just off Plaza Mayor. I know much of Madrid but I wanted to see it again and to find some new stuff! First the main Park with the lake though









The Ramblers, - where every one parades at night












The lovely buildings near the palace










The palace itself

In a park somewhere I came across this game throwing half wooden balls to get near skittles. I never did understand the rules even though one old gent tried to explain them to me

 

















There was a wall painting I wanted to see again and found it but the graffiti kids have got at the bottom half.
It is a flat plain wall yet the painting returns the brickwork and balconies across it and you have to look up to the sky to see that much of that is paint too! In the other closer photo, see the gent on his balcony is painted yet the right side of the angle is real! I saw it unspoilt in 2003 it's such a shame, people sat on benches at ground level and looked so real!!!


 





 



I think it was next day that I found myself in the valley away from the centre of the city, and saw a cable car which went over the river to a distant park. Had to have a go on that, so away I went. A hard climb up a steep lot of steps to the station and away. You can see the palace in the distance


















































A restaurant on the station roof and these shots looks back to the city












 The park is something like scrub that we see in Australia 





 






but the plants and trees are typical of the Spanish plain that the Camino crosses at times.
Mediterranean pines.















 




Coming back again, these are better shots of the the railway and the river



A wedding couple by the palace and  the car!



 


  I heard guitar music and came upon  a couple dancing across the marble in front of the palace













  My painting.




 I think the king is in residence







and that's them depicted on the massive cathedral doors . 



I went to see my friend Antonia and found they had been intending to meet me in Zamorra but I had arrived and left too early. After a lovely tapas meal we walked over and by the river as the sun set.
This is a lovely city


 














Arriving back in Plaza Mayor, the storm deluge hit  but I and others rushed for cover under the arches and took I these photos of life in the plaza in and after a deluge at 11pm






Next day more walking the city where I got a better one of the old shack!

 




Amongst others, one of market stalls Madrid style.


Worried about paying another night in the hostel I made the bad decision to sleep on the airport floor.

 

In the middle of the night a man removed a laptop computer from another sleeping nut case like me.
Not a copper about to tell so I let him go, jammed myself in a corner with my pack under me, and tied a string to my wrist, and kept my sticks handy and tried to sleep! The cost of airport food soon ate away any saving I had made!!!!





Photo from the plane window

Oh that horrid long flight home! Tired out my eyes were well blood shot by the time Maisie got to see me! But that was one hell of a trip!





No comments:

Post a Comment